Sunday, September 8, 2013

Generation Boundaries


While studying popular culture, and the more I think about certain things, I realized that aspects of pop culture have generation boundaries. When I say that, I mean, our great grandparents disliked the music that were generated during our grandparent's time, then as time went on, then our grandparents started to dislike the music, movies, and TV shows our parents liked. Eventually it comes down to our generation and out parents turning into their parents when it comes to things like this.

I bring this up because, last Saturday. My husband, his friend and I went to see the new Simon Pegg movie “The World's End” which was quite good, and I would recommend it. Back to the point though, this elderly couple came to see it too, and sat right next to me. As soon as the credits stopped rolling, the older woman said something along the lines of, “Well, that wasn't very good. What was the point of that?” To which the older man replied, “To suck twenty dollars out of us.” They continued to complain until we left.

Given that situation, there seems to be a sort of a gap (not always however, there are some quite open minded people of the older generations that like movies, music, etc. from this generation. I would like to applaud them.) from the previous generation to the next when it comes to things such as movies, music and any other media that we all share.

No comments:

Post a Comment